Sunday, January 10, 2021

How to not get swindled when buying legos or collections

 Avoid getting ripped off 

Fake lego, lego ripoff, buying lego
From Google images

The topic of not getting swindled buying legos is unfortunately a topic I have learned through the school of hard knocks (or should I say blocks).  

1)  in the excitement of the moment, remember to check the whole box to ensure it is all lego and not lego over fake or mega blocks

2) make sure any "junk" on the legos can be cleaned off and that there are broken plates 

3) watch for things like batteries or grease from mixed in tools or toys especially corrosion.  The gum wads and crayons can be picked out!

4) biggest mistake I've made...I bought the biggest collection that doubled the number of legos I owned in 2014.  I didn't have the $ on me and when I came back, I am pretty sure there were legos gone that had been out (it was an outdoor  and im garage sale.  And a tray of.mini figs was gone (about 20 of the things)...they told me those weren't for sale but I was stupid accepting that as an answer.  I was so convinced I was getting an incredible deal that I wasn't even using common sense.  I did get an infestation of megablocks and dirty pieces, but overall I came out about $400 ahead.


5 watch pieces falling out of boxes

6 make sure if you're buying in drawers that the back and floor of the drawers are intact if they're part of the deal and u intend to use it

7 make sure it is real lego throughout..not just lego plates i.e. on a roof, the the modular building apart and check all the levels

8 I quit buying on ebay...initially in 2004-2005 when I used it I got some nice classic space legos but the smoke, scratches, yellowing, missing pieces, inability to use buyer protection without hassle, lack of communication from sellers outweighed the benefit.  Bricklink or virtual stores with clear policies are the way to go!

Well thats my story on buying legos and I'm sticking to it ...its so much better to just wait til clearance sales and buy pick a brick pieces when you know what you're going to get.  I loved the program where lego had the grab bags, but dishonest people ruined that by putting fake legos in returned lego boxes..funny how a child's toy can bring out the best and worst in adults!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment