Sunday, June 7, 2020

The secret to being unhappy about how many or how.much lego you have (or anything really)

How to be unhappy with all you have:


I always remember in the early sets I got when I was little came with the Sears catalog.  And if course the first page in the catalog I would peruse was always the last as usually the most expensive/unobtainable items were in the back.  The all time classic example was the slot car tracks in the christmas wish book catalog (I know not lego, but stay with me!).  This is an example of what I just dreamed of as a kid
from twitter/google images 6/7/20


Of course when Christmas came the reality of what came finally a few years later was
From google images, 6/7/20

So I am embarrassed to say that in my mind that didnt compare to what I selfishly wanted, and I was disappointed (in all fairness it did.break after 2 weeks but I still was being a spoiled brat in my thoughts)...

With lego, the 2 things in the back of the catalog were the expert builder/auto chassis sets...I still wouldnt be able to put them together in their complexity but no matter what set I got, there was that damn last page to make me want more and to be ungrateful for what I had...
pics from Google images/bricklink 6/7/20

Compare these 2 pics above with set below...this was my exciting  smart purchase
From google images and BRICKOWL, 6/7/20 

So, today, one would think with this awareness that I would have outgrown or be smart enough to realize how much selfish energy I spend making myself unhappy for what I want vs. What I have.  Looking at the images of the biggest car or star wars sets on google images or the lego catalog or even looking at other people rooms and collections are like the last pages of the 1970s wish books on steroids..

So, I guess my life wisdom I'm trying to impart is that be happy with the size and types of pieces/lego sets or collections you have.  Most instruction books always say use imagination and substitute pics if you dont have the pieces you need.  I have a lot of lego, but it's ironic that the master builder interviews are done by giving a handful of pieces to people to see what they can do before trusting them to build with unlimited resources...that's the sign and proving of the true lego masters.  It's so easy to just want more and more but be happy with all you have!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment