Friday, February 18, 2022

One thing that upsets me about the character Benny in the Lego movie

This post is about Benny, a character featured in lego movies and in Lego sets. (My opinion only...)


There has been such good effort and results by Lego to improve inclusitivity of minifigs...i.e. people who use wheelchairs.  When a "window licking" Mixel was introduced, it was stopped due to being offensive and they apologized which I think was admirable.

The thing that I don't like about Benny is the premise of oxygen deprivation when his helmet cracked affecting his brain.  I understand the concept that helmets would crack in the 70s and 80s. As a result,  Benny demonstrates behavior that is presented as "funny". My complaint is that I dont think it's a funny story line. Benny represents medical symptoms (whether congenital or acquired) that are real disabilities that people can have after an anoxic brain injury.  Cerebral palsy/stroke result from lack of oxygen but we don't make light of that as being funny.

People with head injury and anoxia can cause people to perseverate i.e. repeating phrases or words i.e."spaceship spaceship spaceship" as well as causing people to focus on 1 task constantly.  What really drives me nuts is the exaggerated faces used on Benny.  People with head injuries can have increased tone causing facial distortion and inability to isolate movement.  Tongue control can be affected with deviation/decreased control.  I know the faded space lego is due to being older, but isnt he capable of switching shirts.  Or does his brain injury affect his ability to care about what he looks like?  


Another problem caused by anoxia is muscle hyperactivity called tone abnormality.  Abnormal tone can cause unusual posturing as a lack of body sense and control...is that why Benny is always upside down in multiple picture?

When blue minifigs first came out in the 80's, I loved that they were in the most awesome sets.  There was similarly between minifigs and it was up to kids to make a storyline and create personalities their imagination



In all fairness, I dont think there was intentional effort to make fun of Benny's character/disability.  I might just be reading too much into this. After all,  Benny is capable of  building and fixing complex spaceships.  I just think the premise of Benny having a lack of oxygen leading to deficits is insulting (i.e. children with cerebral palsy or first responders/military vets that have been shot or sustained injuries blown up by IEDs.).  All of this is just my opinion, but it just bothers me!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment