Monday, February 21, 2022

Taken around the block! (2x4 times)

 I read an article and Warren Elsmore wrote that the 2x4 brick was one of the most useful bricks.  Initially I thought being such a good builder why he would list that brick.  After I thought about it I started thinking about the use of this brick and one amazing thing about lego but also this simple 2x4 brick is the ability to make round shapes from a block..i.e. a globe or face

Lego face
above: At lego fest early 2010ish

Below: From Lego Worlds video game earth done 2x4sLego sphere

Below: I was able to create a sphere with 2x4 blogs using tinkercad

 
I impressed myself with this ball!!


Below is an amazing illusion of sand, or rock in the 2nd picture, all done with 2x4 bricks

 


Lego rockwork

The source for the pics above is in the pic of the book's biography above
All the illusions of rock and sand above are done by 2x4 bricks..the curves hide the 2x4 bricks in plain site!


The pictures below are illustrative of the use of 2x4 bricks as a base...I didn't have the snow pic reference but I think lego made this for a store display.  The grass pic is the project of Hardlug.com


The base function is one reason why Warren Elsmore considers the 2x4 as one of the 10 most useful bricks


A final use of the 2x4 brick is that using it and monochromatic style can bring people together for a common cause.  It also makes it apparent how smaller, specific bricks of different color add spice to creations.  The white bricks picture show an exhibit in England to bring strangers together.  The green brick pics were from the Lego fest exhibit...people came by and built by adding on to what was already started...each added the best contribution they could while appreciating the foundation that had been laid.



Again, I've said it before and again, Lego brings people together!

Before a lego show many years ago, there was a batman sculpture advertising what was to come.  What amazed me was that up close, even muscle definition from a distance could be created 





 Finally, the master of using 2x4 bricks is Nathan Sawaay.  I saw the exhibit "The Art of the Brick."...it was amazing.  I went early and was the only one and got great pics.  Of course, the sd card I used didn't work so I have no pics.  He has books, I recommend the book below, on Amazon




No comments:

Post a Comment